Public Service & Outreach Orientation
This online orientation from Public Service and Outreach (PSO) is part of the Keys to UGA: New Faculty Academy, but all faculty and staff are welcome to attend.
Most people in the state of Georgia have never been on the University of Georgia (UGA) campus. They know of UGA because they see its presence and impact in their communities.
During the Public Service and Outreach (PSO) orientation, participants will learn about one of the largest, most comprehensive university-based outreach programs in the world. Participants will gain an appreciation for the connection between UGA’s academic excellence and rise in national rankings and its historic land-grant and sea-grant mission to serve all the people of Georgia.
At the end of the session, faculty participants will understand:
- The breadth, scope and impact of UGA’s presence in the state.
- How PSO works to address critical locally-identified needs and opportunities in Georgia, including protecting the natural environment, improving access to and quality of healthcare, improving workforce development, and improving quality of life indicators.
- Ways that UGA faculty can engage in applied research and instruction that advance their careers by partnering with PSO units.
The session will include a brief overview of the eight public service units and their work to create jobs, develop leaders and address critical challenges in communities across the state. The program will also highlight PSO collaborations with academic faculty.
- Examples of academic-outreach partnerships that lead to broader impacts.
- Examples of community-engaged research opportunities.
- An overview of specific academic faculty development programs will include the Engaged Scholar Award, Service-Learning Fellows, PSO Student Scholars and the New Faculty Tour.
This class is being held online via Zoom. All registrants will receive the login link in a separate reminder email from Training & Development or the instructor at least 1 day before your scheduled class. Those who do not receive the email reminder should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 9:00am to 11:00am