Construction Advisory: D.W. Brooks Drive
To improve the overall reliability and redundancy of the South and Central Campus chilled water infrastructure, the Facilities Management Division (FMD) is beginning a critical utility repair and upgrade. Last summer the University experienced significant equipment failures for buildings in this area, making the need for this project even more immediate. This work also represents the final piece in an ongoing series of projects that will permit FMD to provide chilled water to buildings on Science Hill from a state-of-the-art chiller plant located on the South Campus rather than from many individually failing chillers from the 1960s.
In order for this system to be online prior to the beginning of summer, FMD needs to take advantage of the Winter Break to give the contractor several weeks to complete the most impactful work between semesters while students are away. Temporary construction fencing already has been installed. Work will continue through the end of the Spring semester, as part of a phased execution. The jobsite footprint will be minimized wherever possible, and the site boundaries will be collapsed as work is completed on D.W. Brooks Drive. The following provides more detail regarding the areas impacted and the anticipated dates each phase will occur.
- D.W. Brooks Drive will be closed to vehicular through-traffic through May 1, 2018. Limited local vehicular traffic will be permitted as work progresses, subject to safety considerations).
- Parking lots S03 and S05 will remain open, but access will be re-routed via Sanford Drive (see phase 1 map). Normal access to these lots will be restored by approximately mid-February.
- Pedestrian traffic will be limited on D.W. Brooks Drive, and pedestrian detour routes will be posted when required for safety purposes.
- Signage (for both vehicular and pedestrian traffic patterns) will be posted and kept accurate at all times.
- Month of December: Significant excavation in the middle of D.W. Brooks Drive
- January 3 – February 13: Installation of the underground chilled water piping southward along the D.W. Books Drive corridor
- February 14 – April 24: Installation of underground chilled water piping in vicinity of Hardman Hall (see phase 2 map)
Please note: Parking Services has been and will continue to be in direct contact with those individuals who will be affected by this lot closure.
- April 25 – May 1: Jobsite cleanup, fencing removal and demobilization
*Dates and access will be subject to change as dictated by varying site conditions and weather impacts.
Wednesday, May 1, 2019
D.W. Brooks Drive