October 29, 2012
Homecoming: Spirit of Service
October 29, 2012 - November 1, 2012
Four opportunities to serve: Collect-the-Spirit, Coins for the Court, Stop and Serve, and the Day of Service.
Monday-Wednesday, October 29th-31st, 2012 11 a.m.-2 p.m.: Bins throughout campus
1) There will be donation bins throughout the campus to donate canned food.
2) If a participant is donating and also hopes to receive spirit points the organization name must be legibly written on the can with permanent marker (no acronyms). The canned food collected will be donated to Campus Kitchen and the spirit points will be added to the respective organization.
Coins for the Court
Monday-Wednesday, October 29th-31st - At each Homecoming event
1) Each member of the Homecoming Court will choose a charity of their choice.
2) Participants can donate money to a specific Court member who will be representing their favorite charity.
3) The Court member with the most donations will donate the money raised from all Court members to the charity of their choice.
Stop & Serve
Monday-Wednesday, October 29th-31st, 2012 11am-2pm - Tate Plaza
1) Students can stop by tables located on Tate Plaza to participate in short, mini- service projects. This program is designed to allow students to engage in service for a few minutes as they are passing through Tate.
2) Information at volunteerinathens.uga.edu
Day of Service
Thursday, November 1, 2012 3-6 p.m. - Athens Community
Registration: 3-3:45 p.m. Tate Reception Hall
Students are invited to join the Service Ambassadors with their Serv(ED) project on the afternoon of November 1, 2012. Serv(ED) programs provide the UGA student population with service opportunities, which allow students to connect with the Athens community by identifying and fulfilling a need for service. Students should expect a couple hours of impactful service that concludes with a student-run reflection.
Sign up for the project is on a first-come-first-serve basis and students will be able to sign up for one out of several service sites. Transportation to the service sites will be provided.
Spirit Point Allocation
Three of these events will allow organizations to receive spirit points (Collect-the-Spirit, Stop and Serve, and Day of Service). The point system for the service components are as follows:
1. Collect-the-Spirit: 1 point per can food donation
2. Stop and Serve: 1 point per service item completed
3. Day of Service: 15 points per person in attendance
UGA Homecoming Website, UGA Homecoming Facebook